GENDER EQUALITY FORUM – Win a name for everyone!
Gender equality is not only a fundamental human right, but a necessary foundation for a peaceful prosperous and sustainable world – UNO
Department of Sociology takes a broader view in understanding Gender based issues and Gender bias. Sociologists enforce social responsibility in undertaking gender awareness programs by organizing workshops, seminars, Group discussions, field trips, taking up of research projects & screening movies/documentaries related to gender issues. The SKPC-GENDER EQUALITY FORUM aims at providing the same and win a name for everyone.
The gender equality forum was inaugurated on 27th Oct 2022 by the IQAC and Department of Sociology in the closed auditorium at the college campus. The forum was inaugurated in the presence of Mr. Guggilam Ramesh, Honorary Correspondent, Dr. T. Mohanashree, Principal, Ms. V. Bhanu, Head Department of Sociology.
- Ms. S. Kalavathy – Associate Prof., Head, Dept. of Sociology, Queen Mary’s College, Chennai.
- Ms. R. Jeeva – Founder & Director of Transgender Rights Association
- Ms. R. K. Deepa – Pediatric – Cardiologist
- Ms. Karunya Devi – Advocate & Social activist
WHAT GEF MEANS FOR A STUDENT?
A Gender Equality Forum in any institution symbolizes a safety hub for the students. It is also the sign of progression and open thinking. GEFS are no longer legal institutions on paper. They have become much more than that. To a girls’ college student, a GEF, unknowingly, becomes her strength and offers her different perspectives on gender issues. It empowers her to do what she wants. Hence, implementation of GEFs in every college is a must step to be taken.
Plan of Action:
Action Plan of SKPC-GEF 2022-2023:
- December 10 – International Gender Day
- February 11 – International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- February 20 – World Day of Social Justice
- February 22 – National Human Trafficking Awareness Day
- Week of March 8 – International Women’s Week
- March 1- Zero Discrimination Day
- March 4- World Day of the Fight Against Sexual Exploitation
- March 31 – International Transgender Day of Visibility
The Centre will conduct anti-sexist and gender sensitization workshops at schools, organizations and colleges.
Faculty Advisor : Ms. V. Bhanu, Head, Department of Sociology